Whether you are published, in the process, or only just thinking about it – here are some tips & tricks for all children’s authors.
1 . YOUR AUTHOR BRAND
Your author brand gives your readers insight into who you are! Creating something that showcases your personality is key. As a children’s author, you may also want to show off a bit more of your goofy side!
Here are a few things to keep in mind when creating your author brand:
- Make it eye-catching and fun!
- GET PLAYFUL
- Use a fun background or bright colors
- Don’t be afraid to make a silly face
- Let your personality shine through – both in your photo and bio
2 . YOUR COMMUNITY
The average buyer’s age of children’s books is between 30 and 44.
Females make up more than 70% of these buyers. They are also more likely to discuss and recommend a book they and their kids enjoyed. In fact, buyers of children’s books are more easily influenced by the recommendations of family and friends than any other book category. For this reason, it is really important to build a loyal community of parents and teachers that enjoy and support your book.
Consider building an ambassador program or launch team! Also, get involved in your local community and make time to meet your readers.
Meet your readers!
- Pursue classroom visits
- Join children’s book festivals
- Participate in library events such as a read-along!
3 . YOUR ONLINE PRESENCE
In a world that is always changing, it can be hard to stay in touch. Having an online presence provides you with an opportunity to connect with readers all over the world with just a click of a finger!
Similar to building a local presence through interactive activities like classroom visits, your online presence is also essential to gain exposure and build a loyal fan base.
Regardless of if you are on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter or YouTube – consistency is key!
Consider the following when building your online presence:
- Join Facebook groups for parents & teachers!
- Use the right hashtags on Instagram #childrensbooks
- Do a monthly read-along through the story feature!
- Keep it fun
4 . MARKETING TIPS & TRICKS
Though many of the tips mentioned above fall under the large umbrella of marketing, there are a few specific things to consider as a children’s author.
Run a Goodreads giveaway!
- To create buzz and awareness for your book
- To generate new readers
- To gain reviews (although reviews are never a guarantee)
- Regularly update your content
- Encourage engagement by asking questions for your followers to answer
- Remember your audience
- Create visually fun and interactive content
The key to any marketing plan is consistency! Like anything in life, you get what you give. If you dedicate time and effort consistently, you’ll be more likely to build up a loyal following from your audience and convert them to paying customers. Moreover, you have to seek your audience out; you have to go to them before they start coming to you.
Learn more about publishing your children’s book here.
Take a browse through our publishing packages for children’s books.