1. Tell us about your role at Tellwell.
My role is to create the visual expression of our authors’ concepts and ideas using graphic tools and elements.
2. What do you enjoy most about being a book designer?
I enjoy creative exploration, thinking through ideas and coming up with solutions on how to best represent them visually.
3. What styles and genres do you enjoy working on the most?
Fantasy and adventure.
Here is a small sample of Ian’s cover designs for Tellwell.
4. What is your work experience outside of Tellwell?
Before Tellwell, I worked as a layout artist for an international self-publishing company, focusing on interior book layout.
5. What cover design trends are you enjoying right now?
Bold typography on a book’s cover reflects both its content and style, while also being minimalist. It focuses the audience’s attention to the illustration or creative elements of the cover that allow the audience to get a sense of the story.
6. Where do you get your design inspiration?
Mostly on the internet, including movie posters, album covers, and website designs. If I see something that’s cool or new, I’ll try to find a way to incorporate that style or trend into a cover design when appropriate.
6. What advice do you have to authors working with a designer or project manager?
My advice to authors working with book designers and project managers is to be as clear and simple as possible when relaying an idea or concept for the book’s cover. Intricate or complex descriptions may, at times, lead to misinterpretations. It’s also important for authors to consider the book’s audience when brainstorming cover design ideas.
7. How would you describe your personality?
Always friendly and easy-going.
Sometimes quiet, serious and shy.
At work: determined, dependable, patient and trustworthy.
Outside of work: adventurous and enthusiastic.
8. What books do you enjoy reading?
Action/adventure books set in the medieval period.
9. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
I love to travel, play sports (basketball), do fun runs/marathons, hiking, mountain climbing, and other outdoor activities.
10. What is your favourite food?
Adobo and lechon kawali.