1. Describe your role as a project manager.
As a project manager, I help authors through every step of the publication process, from submitting the manuscript until the book gets published.
I serve as a liaison between the author and the designer, editor, and/or illustrator. I also guide authors on their choices in terms of design, layout or the book’s specifications.
2. What does a normal day look like for you?
A normal day for me would be a combination of team meetings, phone calls with authors, preparing and reviewing various documents and communicating with editors, illustrators, and designers.
3. What do you enjoy most about working with authors?
What I enjoy most about working with authors is hearing their personal stories, and inspiration behind writing their book. It’s very satisfying and fulfilling helping authors achieve their goals and guiding them through the process to achieve the best possible outcome. It makes my day when I hear how happy authors are with the final product!
4. How would you describe your personality? What are your strengths?
I’m very sociable. I love being with people, I enjoy making new friends and meeting new people. I easily get along with others.
I’m also flexible. I can adapt easily to changes, and I take on additional tasks or roles outside of my core duties. I love learning new things so I appreciate being able to take on new challenges at work (and outside of it) and develop new skills.
5. What advice do you have for authors going through the publishing process?
My advice for authors going through the publishing process is to be very involved in the process. There can be a higher level of satisfaction when the author provides input throughout the process and the final product reflects that vision.
6. What is the most common misconception authors have about the self-publishing process?
The most common misconception about the self-publishing process is that authors need to do everything themselves. There are some authors who do choose to DIY their books, but that isn’t the only choice.
Working with an assisted self-publishing company like Tellwell means authors can work with a team of experts to publish their book and guide them through the publishing process. It means they aren’t on their own, which can be really daunting, especially in an unfamiliar industry.
7. What is the most rewarding aspect of your role?
The most rewarding aspect of my role is playing a role in the author’s success. Publishing a book is often a huge milestone and bucket list item for many people. It feels really great to help people achieve, what often is, a life-long dream.
8. What do you enjoy doing outside of work? What are your passions/interests/hobbies?
I really enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, biking, camping, going to the beach and wakeboarding.
Normally, I love to travel but during shutdown, I’ve been enjoying at-home activities such as cooking and baking. I’ve been having fun taking photos for my Instagram account @rai.inot
9. What kind of books do you enjoy reading? What are some recent books you’ve read that you’ve enjoyed?
I love reading inspirational or self-help books. I love Mitch Albom’s books. I recently just finished reading All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven.
10. Do you have any recommendations in terms of tv shows, books, music, podcasts or any cool content you’ve come across recently?
I’ve recently started watching the TV series Suits and have been loving it. It’s smart and entertaining. The characters are brilliant.