Synopsis Writing Tips for Indie Authors
Mar 17,2023 / By Ben Graham / No Comment
Master the art of writing a captivating novel synopsis with these top tips and impress media outlets and readers alike!
Focus on the main plot points and character arc, and don’t try to include every single detail or character in the book.
WHAT IS A SYNOPSIS?
A synopsis is a concise summary of your novel, typically spanning one to four pages. It outlines the plot, main character arc, and resolution of the story. The purpose of a synopsis is to market your book to the publishing industry, including both traditional publishers and self-publishing platforms. It is a critical component of your book proposal and can significantly impact your chances of securing opportunities. A good synopsis is a must for any indie or self-published author.
If you’re writing a novel synopsis, here are some useful tips to keep in mind:
- The three-paragraph format is a common method to follow.
- In the first paragraph, introduce the character, setting, and conflict or inciting incident.
- The second paragraph should cover major plot points, conflicts, and characters necessary for the conclusion to make sense.
- The third paragraph should detail how the conflict is resolved and how the character changes from the beginning of the book.
- Use active voice instead of passive voice to make the synopsis more engaging.
- Stick to the standard third-person point of view.
- Remember that your synopsis is a reflection of your writing skills. Write it in a way that showcases your style rather than just summarizing the book.
- Keep your synopsis clear and concise. Avoid being too long or rambling, or you risk losing the reader’s interest.
- Focus on the main plot points and character arc, and don’t try to include every single detail or character in the book.
- Don’t worry about trying to create an intriguing or mysterious hook. Simply provide the necessary information. Save the hook for your book blurb, which we’ll talk about later.